Wine fermentation tanks, or wine fermenters, are key components in winemaking. Wine fermenters are specialized tanks made of food-grade stainless steel, concrete, wood, or other non-ferrous materials. Wine fermenters are specifically designed to facilitate and control the wine fermentation process wherein yeast converts the sugars found in grape juice to alcohol. Well-designed wine fermenters precisely control temperature, are easily cleaned, and are engineered with safety features that eliminate hazards to winery operators.
Vitis Plata & Vitis Reserva Wine Tanks – Product Innovation in Wine Fermentation
PKW Vitis Wine Fermenters are the culmination of Portland Kettle Works’ experience producing over 1,000 fermenters for the craft beer and wine industry since 2011.
PKW wine fermenters are being used to innovate recipes and deliver repeatable results for award-winning breweries and wineries, large and small, worldwide.
Built on PKW’s pedigree for highest quality and peerless performance, we have introduced the Vitis Wine Fermenter series. Vitis provide the same spirit of innovation and quality that our global clients have come to expect and rely upon in all PKW products.
PKW Vitis Wine Fermenters are available in 4 configurations:
- Wine Fermenters, Closed-Top – Additional uses include wine storage, blending, and packaging
- Wine Fermenters, Open-Top – Unlimited access to the tank cap
- Wine Fermenters, Variable Capacity – Ferment batches of wine in your choice of sizes
- Wine Totes, Open-Top – Capacities from 2 to 6 ton with unlimited access to the tank cap
Click the image below for more information on the Vitis wine fermenter configuration of your choice:
Standard features of all Vitis wine fermenters include:
- Vitis top (for closed-top configurations only):
- Truncated conical top: can be either offset or centered for ease of cleaning and cap punchdown operations
- Punchdown manway: fully welded into the truncated conical top, allows for easy access into the tank for punchdown, inspection, and service
- Zero pressure/vacuum break: prevents any pressure or vacuum buildup inside of the tank
- Vitis sidewall:
- Interior finish: smooth 2-B interior finish, blended and made sanitary at all weldment
- Dimple jacket: our energy-saving precision laser-welded dimple cooling jackets are hydroformed and baffled to maximize turbulence and minimize load on the glycol cooling system. Both low- and high-pressure options are available
- Dual-action manway (round): top inswing and outswing manway for complete racking access
- Dump-out manway (square): outswing only and located at base of sidewall allows complete cleanout of pomace and wash debris
- Drainage sump: both sump and ports are housed in a precision engineered, removable drain screen inside the tank
- Racking port
- Temperature Thermowell port: includes protective temperature control shield
- Sample port: includes a valve in the sidewall that allows easy samples to be collected
- Vitis bottom:
- Sloped floor: enables easier dump-out, cleaning, and other interior operations
- Tank mounting: can be either floor-mounted or mounted on PKW’s proprietary ring stand
Portland Kettle Works is the premier American manufacturer of commercial winemaking equipment including wine fermenters and tanks for both red and white wine.
We have leveraged our experience in process engineering and fermentation management to provide tools that reduce your startup and expansion risks and help to ensure your success.
PKW’s Vitis Wine Fermenters are designed and engineered with the winemaker in mind. We have thought through:
Safety – PKW places winery workers’ safety and your success at the forefront of our design and engineering
Safety is a key component of any winery tank farm. Over generations of design, PKW has seamlessly integrated safety features like clean-in-place (CIP) facilities, modulating pump and transfer systems, emergency shut down systems, and UL listed 508A componentry into every system we design, build, and ship from our American manufacturing facility located in Portland Oregon.
Sanitation – Wine safety begins with proper sanitation
All PKW tanks feature 304 food-grade American stainless steel designed and engineered to maximize sanitary features. Both the interior and exterior of all PKW wine fermenters and tanks are fabricated, welded, and blended to reduce cleaning time and expense.
Temperature Control – The key to winemaking repeatability and consistency
PKW replaces guesswork with simple, easy to use automation features that assure precise temperature control. This control is completely integrated into our wine fermenters and tanks making repeatability and consistency a hallmark of your brand.