Closed top wine fermenters are used for non-oxidative wine fermentation. Ideal for white wines, while fermenting the tank top remains sealed and an inert gas like nitrogen is used to fill any headspace in the tank and displace the oxygen. Wines produced this way have a clean, fresh taste and are perfect for early drinking. Stainless steel tanks like the Vitis impart no distinct flavor characteristics to the wine and, because they are perfect for refrigeration, are ideal for wines requiring very cold fermentation.
Custom Configurations Available – Please Contact Sales
Standard features of Vitis closed top wine fermenters include:
- Vitis top:
- Truncated conical top: can be either offset or centered for ease of cleaning and cap punchdown operations
- Punchdown manway: fully welded into the truncated conical top, allows for easy access into the tank for punchdown, inspection, and service
- Zero pressure/vacuum break: prevents any pressure or vacuum buildup inside of the tank
- Vitis sidewall:
- Interior finish: smooth 2-B interior finish, blended and made sanitary at all weldment
- Dimple jacket: our energy-saving precision laser-welded dimple cooling jackets are hydroformed and baffled to maximize turbulence and minimize load on the glycol cooling system. Both low- and high-pressure options are available
- Dual-action manway (round): top inswing and outswing manway for complete racking access
- Dump-out manway (square): outswing only and located at base of sidewall allows complete cleanout of pomace and wash debris
- Drainage sump: both sump and ports are housed in a precision engineered, removable drain screen inside the tank
- Racking port
- Temperature Thermowell port: includes protective temperature control shield
- Sample port: includes a valve in the sidewall that allows easy samples to be collected
- Vitis bottom:
- Sloped floor: enables easier dump-out, cleaning, and other interior operations
- Tank mounting: can be either floor-mounted or mounted on PKW’s proprietary ring stand
Vitis Closed Top Wine Fermenters
PKW Vitis Closed-Top Wine Fermenter Spec Sheet (Click to download)
If you require custom closed top wine fermenters for your winery, please give us a call. We are masters of process engineering, and our highly skilled craftsmen have manufactured stainless steel tanks of all kinds and sizes for multiple industries. Regardless of your needs, you will not find higher quality equipment than the tanks manufactured by Portland Kettle Works.
Portland Kettle Works was founded in 2011 to build the highest quality stainless steel brewing and beverage equipment applications. Since then we have built and installed over 300 breweries worldwide. Our craft brewers are among the best of the best and they have the gold, silver and bronze medals to prove it. If you’re serious about craft brewing as a business, contact us and we can help you, too. And if you’re located in Mexico or Latin America, click here to visit our Spanish language site.