Grist cases are cracked grain storage vessels, and key components in beer brewing. Positioned between the grain mill and the brewhouse, the grist case is the intermediary stop for grain after cracking, prior to introduction into the brew kettle. The grist case is one component of the brewery grain handling system which also includes the grain auger, grain mill, and grist hydrator.
Why Select a PKW Grist Case?
Portland Kettle Works’ grist cases provide the brewer with several key advantages:
- Greatly reduces the inherent possibility of equipment failure in the brewery grain delivery system which can cause costly delays or short batching
- Field tested by some of America’s leading craft brewers
- Capacities from 200 pounds (91kg) to 4000 pounds (1815 kg)
- Integrates seamlessly into the grain auger boot
- When properly installed in combination with the MaltMaster grain mill and the PKW grain auger system, the grist case greatly reduces grain dust
- Allows the brewer to crack grains immediately before brew to ensure freshness
- Provides long-term cost savings over more expensive pre-cracked grain
- Eliminates labor as a single person can manage dough-in to the brewhouse
PKW Grist Cases
PKW Grain Mill Specifications – Floor Mount
PKW Grain Handling System – Floor Mount Spec Sheet (Click to download)
PKW Grain Mill Specifications – Suspended Mount
PKW Grain Handling System Suspended-Mount Spec Image (Click to download)
Portland Kettle Works was founded in 2011 in Portland, Oregon USA. We build high-quality stainless steel beverage and brewing equipment. We have built and installed hundreds of state of the art craft breweries worldwide. As a result, our craft brewing clients are among the best of the best. They regularly win beer tasting competitions and they have the gold, silver and bronze medals to prove it. So, if you’re serious about your craft brewing business, contact us so we can help you, too. And if you’re located in Mexico or Latin America, click here to visit our Spanish language site.