What is a Brew Kettle?
Brew Kettles (or “Boil Kettles”), are key components of any brewhouse where wort is boiled and reduced for approximately 60 to 90 minutes. During boil, initial hop additions are introduced into the brewing process.
After boil is complete the wort is whirlpooled to separate unwanted solids from the desired liquid. It is generally recommended that brew kettles be made of stainless steel or some other sturdy, nonreactive material. In addition, brew kettles should be over-sized at a minimum of 40% to reduce the risk of boil-over.
Why Select a PKW Brew Kettle?
Portland Kettle Works’ brew kettles provide the brewer with several key advantages:
- Field tested by some of America’s leading craft brewers
- Insulated vessels add efficiency, minimize heat loading, and reduce safety hazards
- Manufactured of 100% non-reactive, 304 food-grade stainless steel
- 99% evacuation of evaporate means lower humidity and heat-load in the brewery
- Integrated vent stack drip ring reduces dimethyl sulfide (DMS) formation
- Unique conical bottoms in both indirect fire and steam-fired brew kettles guarantee 100% drainage
- To reduce boil-over, all PKW brew kettles are over-sized to 140% of batch capacity
- Integrated Clean in Place (CIP) systems allow rapid and convenient cleaning
PKW Brew Kettle Specifications
PKW Brewhouse Direct Fire (5 to 15 bbl) Spec Sheet (Click to download)
PKW Brewhouse Steam (5 to 30 bbl) Spec Sheet (Click to download)
As with all our brewing equipment, Portland Kettle Works brew kettles are designed and manufactured to exacting standards:
- Capacities available include:
- bbl: 2, 3.5, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, and 30
- hL: 2.3, 4.1, 5.9, 8.2, 11.7, 17.6, 23.5, and 35.2
- Other capacities available upon request
- 100% 304 food-grade stainless steel
- Proprietary Laser Plate heat transfer surfaces engineered to optimize efficiency
- Clean-In-Place (CIP) system installed
- Integrated sight gauge
- Tangential whirlpool port
- Removable trub retainer assembly
- 2”/5 cm center mount ultimate drain designed for fast and easy trub removal
- Integrated 8″/20 cm port with gutter for vent stack
- Top enclosure
- Steel manway
Portland Kettle Works was founded in 2011 to build the highest quality stainless steel brewing and beverage equipment applications. Since then we have built and installed over 300 breweries worldwide. Our craft brewers are among the best of the best and they have the gold, silver and bronze medals to prove it. If you’re serious about craft brewing as a business, contact us and we can help you, too. And if you’re located in Mexico or Latin America, click here to visit our Spanish language site.