What is a Brewery Whirlpool?
Brewery whirlpools are key components of any brewhouse and are where boiled wort is precisely swirled to precipitate solids to accumulate them in a neat cone called a trub pile. Whirlpooling is the final brewing process before the wort is cooled in a wort chiller and yeast is pitched, initiating fermentation within a fermenter. Benefits of brewery whirlpools include clearer wort, faster cooling, increased hop aroma and flavor, and reduced dimethyl sulfide (DMS).
Why Select a PKW Brewery Whirlpool?
Portland Kettle Works’ brewery whirlpools provide the brewer with several key advantages:
- Field tested by some of America’s leading craft brewers
- Our insulated brewery whirlpool adds efficiency, minimize heat-loading, and reduce safety hazards
- All whirlpools are made of 100% non-reactive, sanitary-finished, 304 food-grade stainless steel
- The conical bottoms of our brewery whirlpool contains a 2”/5 cm ultimate drain for easy clean-out
- Our innovative design includes the exact geometry for fast-settling of trub and easy trub removal
- Integrated Clean in Place (CIP) systems allow rapid and convenient cleaning
PKW Brewery Whirlpool Specifications
PKW Brewhouse Direct Fire (5 to 15 bbl) Spec Sheet
PKW Brewhouse Steam (5 to 30 bbl) Spec Sheet
As with all our brewing equipment, Portland Kettle Works brewery whirlpools are designed and manufactured to exacting standards.