What is a Mash Tun?
Mash tuns are key components of a brewhouse where grain, previously cracked in the grain mill, is combined with metered hot water to convert complex starches into more readily-fermentable simple sugars. The mash tun may stand alone or be combined with a lauter tun to create a mash tun/lauter tun combination.
Why Select a PKW Mash Tun?
Portland Kettle Works’ mash tuns provide the brewer with several key advantages:
- Field tested by some of America’s leading craft brewers
- Our direct fire mash tuns maintain precise temperatures while our steam mash tuns are designed and engineered to allow precise step-mashing
- Our proprietary mash agitator is designed to not only agitate grain within the mash tun, but also direct the flow against our highly efficient laser-welded steam jackets for optimum heat transfer
- Integrated Clean in Place (CIP) systems allow rapid and convenient cleaning
PKW Mash Tun Specifications
PKW Brewhouse Direct Fire (5 to 15 bbl) Spec Sheet (Click to download)
PKW Brewhouse Steam (5 to 30 bbl) Spec Sheet (Click to download)
As with all our brewing equipment, Portland Kettle Works mash tuns are designed and manufactured to exacting standards:
- Capacities available include:
- bbl: 2, 3.5, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, and 30
- hL: 2.3, 4.1, 5.9, 8.2, 11.7, 17.6, 23.5, and 35.2
- Other capacities available upon request
- 100% 304 food-grade stainless steel
- State-of-the-art, high-performance, trapezoidal V-wire false bottom
- Proprietary steam-powered Valveless External Calandria (VEC) used to precisely maintain mash temperatures without heat stressing the grain bed
- Insulated with 2”/5 cm of fire-rated fiber insulation
- Labor-saving, side-mounted, grain-out manway
- Fast and efficient clean-in-place (CIP) system installed
- Integrated sparge assembly and vorlauf ports
- Conical bottom with ultimate drain allows for complete wort capture
- Top enclosure with optional flange for mounting rake and plough assembly
- 4”/10 cm port installed and ready for addition of optional grist hydrator
- Steel manway with optional glass door personalized with your brewery’s logo
Portland Kettle Works was founded in 2011 to build the highest quality stainless steel brewing and beverage equipment applications. Since then we have built and installed over 300 breweries worldwide. Our craft brewers are among the best of the best and they have the gold, silver and bronze medals to prove it. If you’re serious about craft brewing as a business, contact us and we can help you, too. And if you’re located in Mexico or Latin America, click here to visit our Spanish language site.