Open top wine fermenters are used for oxidative wine fermentation. Used primarily for red wines, while fermenting the open tank gives the winemaker access to the “cap” which is formed from the wine skins on the top of the tank as the wine ferments. The winemaker, using a paddle can gently stir the cap back into the wine in the tank.
Wine fermentation tanks, or wine fermenters, are key components in winemaking. Wine fermenters are specialized tanks made of food-grade stainless steel, concrete, wood, or other non-ferrous materials. Wine fermenters are specifically designed to facilitate and control the wine fermentation process wherein yeast converts the sugars found in grape juice to alcohol. Well-designed wine fermenters precisely control temperature, are easily cleaned, and are engineered with safety features that eliminate hazards to winery operators.
PKW Vitis open top wine fermenters are the culmination of our experience producing over 1,000 fermenters for the craft beer and wine industry since 2011. Our fermenters are becoming the industry standard. They are being used to innovate recipes and deliver repeatable results for award-winning breweries and wineries, large and small, worldwide.
Standard features of the Vitis open top wine fermenter include:
- Vitis sidewall:
- Interior finish: smooth 2-B interior finish, blended and made sanitary at all weldment
- Dimple jacket: our energy-saving precision laser-welded dimple cooling jackets are hydroformed and baffled to maximize turbulence and minimize load on the glycol cooling system. Both low- and high-pressure options are available
- Dual-action manway (round): top inswing and outswing manway for complete racking access
- Dump-out manway (square): outswing only and located at base of sidewall allows complete cleanout of pomace and wash debris
- Drainage sump: both sump and ports are housed in a precision engineered, removable drain screen inside the tank
- Racking port
- Temperature Thermowell port: includes protective temperature control shield
- Sample port: includes a valve in the sidewall that allows easy samples to be collected
- Vitis bottom:
- Sloped floor: enables easier dump-out, cleaning, and other interior operations
- Tank mounting: can be either floor-mounted or mounted on PKW’s proprietary ring stand
Specifications: Vitis Wine Fermenters, Open-Top
PKW Vitis Open-Top Wine Fermenter Spec Sheet